Beckham Dental is determined to make sure you have all the information you need to keep your smile healthy. Our Cave Creek, AZ dentists have the latest in dental technology to give you the most effective gum disease treatments available. We offer the tried and true method of scaling and root planing as well as modern methods like Perio Protect and laser therapy.
Your gums will remain healthy as a patient at Beckham Dental. Call our office at 602-842-6188 to schedule your examination today.
Two Stages of Gum Disease
Healthy gums are an absolute necessity when it comes to having a great smile. Your gums support your teeth, and without them, you can suffer tooth loss that will devastate your smile. Know the warning signs of gum disease so that you can get care from the expert staff at Beckham Dental quickly.
Stage One – Gingivitis
Gingivitis is the beginning stage of gum disease. It is very treatable and can be reversed with our help. One thing to keep in mind is that all advanced gum disease begins as gingivitis, but gingivitis can be treated and does not have to progress.
Here are some symptoms of gingivitis to watch out for.
- Sore Gums – If your gums become sore or tender, you need to get them checked out at Beckham Dental.
- Bleeding Gums After Brushing – You should worry if your gums bleed from brushing your teeth. To be crystal clear, your gums should never bleed simply from brushing or flossing.
- Red, Inflamed Gums – Your gums are supposed to be pink. If they start to look red, puffy, and/or irritated, it is time to give Beckham Dental a call.
Stage Two – Periodontitis (Advanced Gum Disease)
The clinical term for gum disease is periodontal disease, and once you progress past gingivitis, your teeth are now in real danger. Up to this point, the symptoms have been troubling but relatively mild. Now they can have dangerous implications for your oral health. If you experience any of these symptoms of periodontitis, you need to contact Dr. Beckham to get your gum issues taken care of.
- Pockets Between Gums and Teeth – You will actually be able to see where the gum tissue is pulling back from your tooth roots. If your gums are pulling away, they are not supporting your teeth, and this is a big problem.
- Gum Recession – Gum disease breaks down gum tissue, and you will begin to see your gumline fall farther from your teeth. As this happens, more of your tooth roots will be exposed, leaving your teeth more vulnerable to becoming loose and infected.
- Loose or Shifting Teeth – As your gum tissue is damaged, your teeth will begin to become loose and may even shift from their sockets. At this level, it may be only a matter of time before you begin to lose teeth. Get help from Beckham Dental to make sure your teeth remain in your mouth.
- Tooth Loss – The final symptom of gum disease will result in you losing your teeth. Severe periodontal infections also damage your jawbone and make it necessary for you to seek reconstructive help to get your smile back to where you would like it.
Gum Disease Treatments
As scary as gum disease is, Beckham Dental is equipped to help you. With an expertly trained dental team and a host of effective treatment options, we will control your gum disease and get you back to smiling wide again.
Scaling and Root Planing – This deep cleaning removes the bacteria that causes gum disease. We’ll carefully remove the plaque and tartar that led to your gum infection, and we’ll smooth any rough spots on your tooth roots to make it easier for gum tissue to regenerate there.
Perio Protect® – Gum disease is a bacterial infection, so focused antibiotics make for a very effective treatment. The custom-fit Perio Protect trays will deliver the medication right where it’s needed. It may even brighten the color of your teeth as well.
Laser Gum Disease Treatment – Laser therapy is a fast, effective, and practically painless method of neutralizing the bacterial infection raging in your gum tissue. Trust the dental experts at Beckham Dental to take care of your gum disease problems in the most modern, effective way possible.
Keep Your Smile Safe from Gum Disease
Call our Cave Creek dental office today at 602-842-6188 to schedule your dental appointment. Beckham Dental has more than three decades of experience making sure our patients’ smiles are safe from the ravages of gum disease.
Even if you have gum disease, we can still help you reclaim your dental health and your smile. Come in and see what happens when the art and science of dentistry meet.